Friday, October 07, 2011

President of UNITEN ICE Student Chapter 2010/2011 AGM 2011 Speech

(Done by aMiR & Edited by YZ)


Thank you Master of Ceremony.


"Civil Engineers are at the heart of society, delivering sustainable development through knowledge, skills and professional expertise"


A very good evening to our beloved UNITEN ICE Student Chapter’s Advisor, Dr. Chua Kok Hua; our new Advisor, Ms. Ean Lee Woen; President of the University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus ICE Student Chapter, Mr. Allen Ang Ming Jih; my comrades UNITEN ICE Student Chapter Executive Board Members (EBs) 2010/2011; new Executive Board Members 2011/2012; Fellow Members; Ladies and Gentlemen.


It is an honour for me as the representative of the UNITEN ICE Student Chapter to welcome you to our AGM 2011 today. UNITEN ICE Student Chapter has gone through 3 years after its establishment on 19 September 2008 and we are still proud to become the first Student Chapter in Malaysia. The Student Chapter has organized various activities for the past 3 years such as ICE Exhibition, Green Camp, Green Awareness Campaign & Site Visits and we managed to reach our main objective which is to let the students enhance their communication skill and deepen their knowledge in the civil engineering field. And also, the number of members in our Student Chapter has increased to 302 members, compared to last year which was 200 members. With the support from the members, our Student Chapter managed to become one of the most active academic clubs in UNITEN for the term 2010/2011.


To this, I would like to thank to Dr Ooi Teik Aun, ICE Country Representative for Malaysia for his endless support throughout our 2010/2011 term. Even though he is unable to attend our AGM today due to his health problem, we still can feel his presence in our AGM and hope that he will recover as soon as possible.


Meanwhile, I would like to represent the EBs to thank our beloved advisor, Dr. Chua, for helping us throughout our term. I still remember that he was willing to spend his time even though after the working hour with us, to discuss about some of our activities in his office. Furthermore, from time to time, he managed to pull a few strings to make sure that our activities would run smoothly and that is something we are grateful for. Today is his last day being our advisor because he has to leave the student chapter to focus on his research projects. Thank you Sir and I would like to wish you all the best on your research.


To Ms. Ean, I would like to thank you for accepting our invitation to become our new Advisor. With your knowledge and experience on civil engineering and co-curriculum activities, I am confident that our Student Chapter will improve more in the future.


Next, I would like to thank Immediate Past President, Vice President, Mr. Chow Tze Liang & Ms. Liyana Karim, and seniors for giving me some good advice when I lead the Student Chapter. Despite being final year students at that time, they supported our activities for the term 2010/2011. I really appreciate their advice, help and support.


To my comrades EBs, I’m serious and I’m not joking. Throughout our 1 year term together we braved the fair and stormy weather. The good and bad times, we’ve been through them all. It was excitement, enjoyment, hardship and craziness mixed together and I am happy that we managed to bring our Student Chapter to become a famous club in our university. I really appreciate your hard work and I wish all the best for your studies in the future.


As for the new EBs 2011/2012, I would like to congratulate you for your appointment. You are the new leaders for our Student Chapter. You are chosen based on your honesty, credibility, strength and potential. Become an EB is neither easy nor hard. Do not afraid to try. It’s better to try and fail than failing to try at all. Learn from the mistakes! Don’t keep yourself in a cage and alienate yourself away from others. Come out and have fun learning. By learning, you will be more mature and ready for the future! I hope that the new EBs will do much better than the previous EBs and I wish you the best of luck.


Lastly, I would like to thank to Fellow Members who supported us in 2010/2011 term. I hope you will continue to support the Student Chapter during your studies and gain more knowledge from the activities organized by the Student Chapter. Now, I would like to invite our outgoing Advisor, Dr. Chua, to give his speech. Thank you very much.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Amir,

I am neo from Limkokwing University.Yes we do not have civil engineering in our university, but is it possible to be a member of ICE. If possible how do we become members.

Neo